9 Steps to Successfully Brand Your BusinessDate Posted: Thursday, November 10th, 2011
What is Branding?
Branding is one of the most important components of business. People tend to look for brands of a product before they decided to buy or use the service based on how they view its brand. Once a consumer likes your brand they will definitely come back for repeated services or products. Remember that brand gives consumer a reason to buy or have the confidence in your service and waste less time choosing over competitors.
Following are the steps to building your brand from definition, to design to establishing it’s foundation.
1. Define Your Brand
Your company profile description.
The purpose of the business description is to give your reader an overview of your company. Choosing the right business description gives interested people some insight on your company and help them to feel more connected to your business.
When describing your business, it generally includes:
- Ownership structure
- Company info and history
- Locations and facility
- Customer profiles and market info
- Objectives, Mission Statement and Tagline
2. Choose A Brand Name
Pick your brand name.
Something original – Make your name stand out, get something that you can really call your own, and so it will be much harder to copy. Another tip is avoid names that are hard to spell or pronounce.
3. Design Your Logo
Create a great logo.
A great logo design
- has a strong, balanced image with no little extras that clutter its look;
- is distinctive and bold in design, making it easy to see at a glance;
- has graphic imagery that looks appropriate for your business;
- works well with your company name;
- is done in an easy to read font;
- communicates your business clearly
Choose the right color scheme & font style for your logo.
Explore your imagination when creating perfect color schemes for your business to make it look appealing to consumers. A great logo design can create a great impression, emotion, style site based on color choices.
4. Do Market Research
Market research is ideally the focal point of creating a branding strategy and its planning process. Having an effective market research pushes and justifies your brand vision and builds the value of your brand as a financial asset. Like your consumers, you need to get to know them intimately through research and insight.
5. Set A Marketing Strategy
Set an insightful marketing strategy for your brand through print, web, social media and multimedia. Two of the major reasons in setting a brand marketing strategy is to see:
- Your customers’ behavior in the marketplace.
- How are they going to positively respond toward your offerings versus your competitors.
Be creative. List the features and benefits of your product / service and ask yourself this question: “How can I best highlight my brand to my audience? Is it through videos? Blogging? Literature? A website? Pricing Strategy? Or, you could do all if it will communicate your brand to your audience more effectively.
6. Develop A Strong Internal Brand Alignment
While doing the market research, make sure that everyone in your company are tuned in and understand your brand promise and how specific behaviors impact the brand. This is what we’re going to call as “internal brand alignment”.
Building a strong brand is greatly influenced by the decision makers around you. Engage everyone including your employees in all your branding efforts, in making your brand successful. Create a framework where specific roles and responsibilities are in position. This will ensure that the brand management function is successful and will eventually result to an even stronger brand experience for your customers.
7. Package your Brand
When we mean packaging, we’re not speaking about putting your products in a box with your company logo but it’s about packaging your brand messages.
Your brand messages can be represented through these common tools:
- Logos, Business Cards & Stationery
When putting up a website, you need to make sure that you have the right tools – design concepts, images, photos, content and a good web design firm to work with. It’s an effective method of showcasing your products & services to your consumers.
A logo and how it looks on all your marketing materials can speak effectively of your brand.
8. Build Your Brand Through Social Networks
The use of social networks is continuing to grow among businesses – small or large even the Fortune 500 companies. Research shows that “this year, 31% reported using Facebook for B2B communications with vendors, suppliers and business partners and 27% use Twitter for that purpose.” A case study from businessesgrow.com was also released pointing how fast growing businesses expand their social media exposure and how they accelerated social media usage.
Before jumping into the social media pool, there are just a few starting points that you need to consider like:
- What type of audience are you trying to reach – existing or potential?
- Where are you likely to find your audience?
- What do you really want to accomplish on the social web? If it’s sales, you should determine where social media/social interaction can play a role in the process. You may also seek advice from an individual or a firm that has experience in or offer social media marketing services.
- Commitment: you need to regularly interact with your audience & participate in their discussions where & when it is necessary.
Next to that is choosing major platforms as starting point. The top ones include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube and Blog.
9. A lesson that we need to understand.
Establishing your brand takes time.
Unless you are a well-known brand, establishing a brand takes time. Some companies have been working for over a year and a half on their efforts are just now reaping the benefits. The key is to keep digging in and build an audience. When your competitors finally got to the path that you’re going, you already had a big lead.